Affiliate Programs, Keyword Lists, and Niche Research for Video Games
The niche research for video games is one I have been wanting to do for a while now. I see many people starting video game websites but not all think it through. Like all other broad niches one must break it down and find that unique sub niche and target audience. Just because you like to play video games doesn’t mean you can casually make an effective and profitable website.
I know this guy who used to manage one of the top Nintendo testing departments several years back. He told me once that if a testing job applicant put the answer “I like to play video games” high on a list of questions they had to answer, he wouldn’t hire the person. He said being specific is far more important and the same holds true for a video games niche website.
There are way too many video game websites that focus solely on video game reviews but not so much on the many other aspects of this big and profitable niche market. I am going to give you some examples of sub niches to target and offer a diverse list of 10 different affiliate programs to help out.
Obviously the two most popular video game consoles currently are the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One. When choosing a niche that will target these game systems, dig down deeper than just baseball games for the PS4 or shooters for the Xbox. Look at perhaps memory upgrades for both systems or alternative controllers for one system or the other.
Another favorite gaming platform are smartphones, which really are a handheld PC with a phone and a camera attached. Game app downloads are another hot area of the video game market, and though it is not listed below, Apple iTunes has a pretty good affiliate program.
Another rising niche of the video game market are retro games, which are games that were made up until the year 1999. There are a ton of video gamers that are into collecting specific and in many cases anything having to do with gaming back then. Also still in demand are more hardcore games like MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role play game) which many play using a PC gaming tower.
I only scratched the surface as far as sub niche ideas and you should have no problems coming up with more. Coming up with high traffic keywords will not be a problem either, and as for the low competition variety, being specific in your search will reveal some gems. But let me give you a few more sub niches to consider.
- Video games inspired action figures
- Cosplay costumes
- 80's video game nostalgia
- Memory flash drives
- Strategy guides
- Console repair
- Biofeedback controller
- Console and handheld skins
- Gaming headsets
- Virtual Reality
- Games for kids uner [Age]
- Family friendly games
- Christian video games
- Indie games
- Game development, Gaming mods
- Easter eggs
- Games where you can make money
- Open world games
- Horror games
- Racing game immersion (wheels, pedals, chairs, etc)
Top 3 Affiliate Programs
One thing is for certain, there is not a shortage of video game affiliate programs available online for you to join. Seeing how the video game niche is so broad, as I explained at the beginning of this post, there is a vast market for all kinds of products related to video games. Remember, this is a niche that does not have to focus solely on the sales and playing of video games.
I tried to cover many of the various sub niches with the selection of the affiliate programs below. Because there are so many programs to choose from, one thing that made my decision easier was being able to find their affiliate information. If I couldn’t find it with relative ease, I did not select them, and there were some great programs I passed up because of this.
But I know the ones I have selected below should be able to generate some nice profits in whatever sub niche you decide to pursuit. Practically all 10 below have a uniqueness to who they are and what they offer. Though Amazon does have a huge inventory of video games and accessories, I wanted to offer you more unique and higher paying programs, and this first one is a well-known biggie!
- Signup URL: https://www.gamefly.com/affiliate-program
- Focus: Over 8,000 video game titles for PS4, PS3, PS2, PS Vita, PSP, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Xbox, Wii U, Wii, GameCube, 3DS, DS, and Game Boy Advance
- Commissions: $20 to $30 for each referral sign up & 5% on sale of new console games
Comments: In the U.S., GameFly offers over 8,000 video game titles for practically every major gaming console and handheld, even as far back as Game Boy Advance. Their library contains all the popular new releases, as well as many older “back-catalog” games that are difficult to find. This is a subscription service where members can select titles on the GameFly website and receive them via First-Class Mail and return them at their convenience using pre-paid mailers.
In addition subscribers also have the option to purchase a video game they are currently renting through the “Keep” feature, and GameFly also sells new and used console games. Sounds great, right? It gets better. Through the acquisition of Playcast Media Systems in June 2015, GameFly offers a console-quality game streaming service in 55 countries, working with cable providers, hardware and media companies to make game services available to all.
When it comes to playing video games, there is no other online convenience service that can match GameFly in my opinion and this is why, along with their 30 day cookie, I have chosen them as my number 1 affiliate program. And guess what else they offer besides video games? You can also make a 5% commissions on the sale of DVD and Blu-ray movies both older titles and new releases like Star Wars: The Force Awakens! Their website is kick-ass too!
- Signup URL: https://www.digimartz.com/affiliate=referrer_signup
- Focus: PC, Console & Handheld video game controllers, accessories, peripherals, upgrades, memory & graphic cards, replacement parts, skins, iPhone & Galaxy gaming
- Commissions: Up to 8% depends on sales volume
Comments: Digimartz, based in Canada, was founded at the end of 2001 and is one of the largest online official resellers for console and handheld game accessories online. They offer a huge selection of game system upgrades, parts and accessories, but also provide products for other small consumer electronics like smartphones and tablets, which can also play video games.
Though their commission is not as big as my numbers 1 and 3 selections, Digimartz is in a specialized sub niche of the video games market that is quite popular. Every hardcore gamer at some time or another will need what Digimartz sells and because of this I have chosen them as my number 2 affiliate program. With a wide array of products across many gaming platforms and with their 30 day cookie, I feel Digimartz is well worth this position.
- Signup URL: http://www.gamepal.com/central/affiliate
- Focus: Provides services for the buying and selling of massively multiplayer online role play game's virtual currency, accounts, items, and power leveling. Games like Final Fantasy, Star Wars Old Republic, and World of Warcraft just to name a few
- Commissions: 18% to 25%
Comments: In 1999, the founders of GamePal teamed up with MySuperSales, who later became IGE. Then in 2004, GamePal formed www.gamepal.com which now offers the package of services for buying and selling of MMORPG virtual currency, accounts and power leveling. Since 2004, they have grown to be the largest network of virtual gaming services companies on the internet.
Being that GamePal offers a unique service for a specific sub niche in the video game market, and because of their above average commission and 180 day cookie, I have chosen them as my number 3 selection. The service packages they offer are for a majority of the more popular MMORPGs on the market today like World of Warcraft. Their website is super easy to navigate and presents all important services and affiliate information, within the top of the home page.
Update: The Twitch affiliate program was recently launched, and has multiple ways for you to earn money. This is a very untapped resource right now, and would be an awesome way for any gamer to make money online. If you aren't into live streaming though, you can still check out these other affiliate programs listed below. There are many more out there as well, so keep doing your research based around your niche within the video game industry.
Other Affiliate Programs
- The best World of Warcraft guides on the market that are “built-in” and can be accessed from within the game. Guides for Leveling & Loremaster, Dungeons & Gear, Dailies & Reputation, Gold & Professions, Pets & Mounts, and Titles & Achievements
Video Games Pay My Bills
- Membership service providing 10 step by step courses on different effective methods to make a living with video games
Big Fish Games
- Downloadable games in every genre for Windows and Mac PCs, iPad, iPhone, and Android, as well as online games both free and paid
- Desktop, Tower & Laptop gaming systems, gaming headsets, mice, keyboards, controllers, Open Source Virtual Reality OSVR, accessories, replacement parts
- Up to 15% and 3% on 2nd tier affiliate referrals
- Every kind of modification upgrade like memory cards, expanded hard drives, graphics upgrade, and the repairs of all gaming systems and consoles
- Downloadable games for PC and iOS of board games, card games, casino games, slots, puzzles, mystery games, hidden object games
- 1% to 5% depending on items sold
- New, used & old console video games in every genre and on every platform, as well as accessories, game systems, peripherals and more
Video Games Keywords Breakdown
10 Low Competition Keywords (Searches/QSR)
- what is video game cosplay – 316/1
- razor gaming computers – 104/4
- how much is oculus rift – 493/17
- ps3 12gb hard drive upgrade – 120/15
- when is the next e3 – 120/24
- gamefly free games – 249/26
- world of warcraft blacksmithing guide – 128/44
- video game tester requirements – 136/61
- what is the best gaming headset – 5444/88
- mobile strike pc – 10438/90
10 High Traffic Keywords (Searches/QSR)
- cool math games – 13268360/208
- free online games – 1031185/187
- nickelodeon games – 499873/269
- big fish games – 440285/193
- xbox 360 games – 234678/170
- wii games – 225511/254
- video games consoles – 222953/163
- play free games – 210045/253
- what is the oculus rift – 171150/144
- video game rentals – 157585/285
Why Is This Different From Google’s Number?
Though Google’s Keyword Tool has improved in recent years, it still gives inflated (inaccurate) traffic numbers. The keyword tool I use takes data from a variety of search engines, not just Google. Remember that Bing + Yahoo own 30% of the search market.
Other Great Keywords (high traffic, low competition)
- what is the best vr headset
- how to become a video game tester
- ps3 memory card
- mobile strike free download
- harry potter and the deathly hallows video game
- what does mmorpg mean
- build a gaming computer
- play free nintendo games online
- logitech flight system g940 force feedback joystick
- call duty advanced warfare pc
- the best gaming headset
- how to make a video game
- alienware x51 r2
- ps4 hard drive upgrade
- video game cheats codes
- the best gaming headset under 50
Affiliate Marketing Action Plan For Video Games
With so many ways you can go to find a sub niche to target, remember to be specific and narrow in your approach. Look past the actual games and see into the support or behind the scenes kind of products. What I would do is follow the mindset of most people in America when it comes to tech items and go with what is hot.
Currently virtual reality is the next frontier in gaming. Back in late November 2015 the Samsung Gear VR came out and just weeks ago of this writing in late March 2016, the long anticipated Oculus Rift hit the stores. The buzz is high on VR and at $600+ per unit, it would make a nice commission profit for the affiliate marketer.
Need Extra Help?
The video games affiliate niche is an extremely huge, popular and profitable evergreen niche. The majority of video game players are adults and there is also a strong female market too, another target market to consider. This can be a very rewarding niche for you if you choose wisely and start out focused.
Now it is totally understandable if this may seem a bit of a difficult task for someone just starting out – it was for all of us. I know you want to pick a good topic that will make money, and that you will enjoy. This is why I recommend the affiliate marketing training community Wealthy Affiliate. It is here that I actually learned everything about making money online as a marketer. I've been working online now for five years. Not only is their training effective but they offer 24/7/365 help and support.
At Wealthy Affiliate you will have everything you need to become a successful online entrepreneur. And there is no need to worry because you will not be left alone in your online journey. Interaction among members and with the owners happen all the time, you can even ask me to help you! If you are ready to get your game on and start, click the below picture.
I love seeing people turn their passions into a monetized business idea, and you can definitely do this with video games. Also, don't forget to bookmark this page on turning your passion for video games into a business. Some of the info is the same as on this page, but the page is much more extensive, with more ideas to get you started. For now, sign up to WA, read the first lessons, then come back to that page later.
Latest posts by Nathaniell (see all)
- Weebly's Website Building Affiliate Program Review - August 15, 2018
- Amazon Affiliate Program Review: Are They “Old News”, Or Still Rockin' It? - August 14, 2018
- Fossil's Authentic Watch Affiliate Program Review - August 14, 2018