The ability to write well is an amazing skill – one that offers so much potential. After all, everyone is turning to the internet for information these days. So, why not make some money by providing what they’re looking for?
One particularly powerful area is technology. There are multiple ways that you can get paid to write technology articles and I’m going to show you how. What’s more, technology is constantly changing and developing. As such, there is always something new to write about.
What Are Technology Articles?
Basically, technology articles are any piece of content that is related to some type of technology. This might include computers, digital cameras, drones, self-driving cars, phones or whatever is currently popular.
The articles themselves vary considerably as well. For example, some people focus on how-to articles, teaching people ways to complete certain tasks that use technology or are related to the field. Others may create news articles about the latest technology released or opinion articles about the implications of the piece of technology.
As you can see, there are many different types of pieces. This makes technology an incredibly flexible field. And you don’t have to focus on all types of technology either. Instead, you can pick areas that interest you.
Where You Can Earn Money
There are multiple ways that you can earn money with technology articles and they all have their own quirks.
Getting Paid Per Article
Technology is a popular field and there are countless sites that regularly post tech articles. Many of these outsource some (or all) of that content, so there is plenty of work out there if you can find it.
One of the best tricks is to simply start looking. Find sites where you like their content and their styles – sites where your writing style would be a good fit.
Once you find them, look for details about writing for the site. If they don’t have that – try to find contact information. Many sites will be open to receiving pitches for content, even if they don’t explicitly advertise for writers.
For example, the magazine Wired has the email address email@example.com, which is specifically focused on pitches for content. There’s no guarantee that you’ll get accepted, of course. And, if you do, they may not pay you. But, you can also always get in touch and see what they have to say. The same is true for many other sites as well.
You don’t have to start with large sites either. Smaller and more obscure ones may accept pitches more readily.
You can also keep an eye out for more traditional jobs. For example, the parent company Vox Media hosts a page of various positions across their publications, including some that are in the tech field. Some of these positions are related to writing, so you could find work that way too.
Just be aware that the requirements to get formally hired will be higher than to simply get an article accepted.
You can also get paid per article by freelancing. In this case, you wouldn’t be working for a single site. Instead, you would be sourcing clients and getting article requests from them.
Sites like Upwork and Freelancer are good places to do just this. With these sites, people create jobs that you can then apply for. Often, the job will consist of multiple articles that you have to complete within a specific time frame. Some of those jobs will have decent pay rates, especially if you are efficient.
But, there are limitations too. For one thing, there is considerable competition on these sites. There may even be dozens or more people vying for the same piece of work.
The systems on the sites also favor those with a good reputation who have completed many jobs. This puts you at an immediate disadvantage as a newcomer. You can still find success and many do. But, you may have to take less appealing jobs with lower pay initially to do so.
Personally, I suggest looking tech sites that pay per article first. These are more powerful and will give you a much better understanding of the field. The competition for those sites can even be lower, as fewer people are willing to do the legwork required to find the jobs.
Revenue Sharing Websites
An alternative approach is revenue sharing sites, like HubPages. With this type of site, you don’t earn money from individual pieces. Instead, your income is based on the way that it is received.
In many cases, this means you earn a proportion of any advertising revenue that your article earns. Some sites also allow you to place self-serving links in your text. Those links could go to your own website or they may be affiliate marketing links.
The style can work and some authors are fairly successful on these sites. But, there are some major issues too.
One problem is competition. Large sites will have hundreds or even thousands of authors. Many of these will be writing on similar topics. This makes it difficult to get enough traffic to actually earn any money. The design of the sites also gives you few ways to boost that traffic.
If you turn to smaller sites, it may be easier to get noticed. But, those sites will tend to get less traffic. That means the overall income pool is lower as well, which decreases your income potential.
For most people, these sites can be a way to get some content published online and to learn more about the field. But, they are never going to be a good income solution. Instead, the money you make will be minimal and you’re always at a disadvantage.
Writing For Yourself
You can also make money writing technology articles on your own website. As with revenue sharing sites, this technique doesn’t let you earn money for individual pieces. Instead, you’re normally making money from affiliate marketing and/or from ads.
But, because the site is yours, you have much more control over the process. This creates much more income potential, especially as you can drive traffic to the website yourself.
What’s more, you have complete creative control. This lets you take the site in any direction that you like, rather than having to conform to a set of rules and regulations.
The nature of this approach means that it takes longer to be successful. This means you won’t make money within the first few days. But, there is also more growth potential. Over time, this approach can offer more income than most other techniques
How To Be Successful
So then, there are multiple ways to earn money with technology articles. But, regardless of what you choose – you need to be writing good content. To do that, there are some key concepts to consider:
- Use Images. Pictures tend to grab people’s attention and they make pieces much more interesting to read. Many topics will need images anyway, as people need to know what you’re talking about.
- Match Your Language To Your Audience. There are multiple ways to write articles. In some cases, you may want a heavy technical focus, with an emphasis on specs and how items perform. But, in most situations, you’ll want to go simpler. This includes toning down your jargon so that a general audience can understand it, especially if they don’t have much background in the field.
- Understand What You’re Talking About. This may seem obvious – but you have to understand the technology in question. You don’t have to know every single area or all of the complexities. But, at the very least, you should know more than your audience.
- Be Creative. There are countless articles out there on technology. Being creative and original can help you stand out, which is critical for traffic and income.
- Have a Specific Focus. Technology is an extremely broad field. You’ll often see more success by choosing a narrow area and specializing in that. This gives you the change to be an expert and to focus your writing and your learning accordingly.
- Vary Your Content. In most cases, you also need to some variation. For example, if you have a technology blog on the latest computer-based technology, you don’t want all of your content to be reviews. Instead, you might have multiple types of posts, based on what would be useful to your readers. You won’t have the same flexibility if you’re working for a company. But, even then, you don’t want all of your posts to be the same basic thing just rehashed.
- Look for Popular Topics. Writing about popular topics tends to be best for traffic – and there are many to choose from. You can use tools like Google Trends to look at which topics are currently getting traffic. This can be a first step to deciding which topics are worth writing about.
And, beyond all of this, success simply comes from writing and being persistent.
Over time, you will continue to refine your writing skills and find your own unique voice in the field. You’ll also start to figure out what types of pieces are popular, along with how to make your writing more compelling.
As a writer, you have an in-demand talent that can be used to earn you TONS of money online. Information is the currency of the internet! Learn how to create your own blog-style website and make money through advertising.
You can choose to promote affiliate products or just use general advertising that pays per click. Write daily on a topic you think is interesting, and you can make a bunch of money online doing what you love!
Latest posts by Nathaniell (see all)
- Amazon Affiliate Program Review: Are They “Old News”, Or Still Rockin' It? - August 14, 2018
- Fossil's Authentic Watch Affiliate Program Review - August 14, 2018
- Can You Really Make Money Writing For WealthyWebWriter.com? - August 14, 2018