Affiliate Programs, Keyword Lists, and Niche Research for Power Tools
Lately I have been researching some pretty diverse niches, and today’s niche of power tools is a HUGE market that is enjoyed by both professionals and everyday home owners. When you think of power tools do not just think of only hand tools. A lawn mower, leaf blower, and even a vacuum are considered power tools, and you can glean different groups of people by which tools they find most useful.
Power tools are used on a daily basis by a majority of folks in one way or another, so there are huge profit potentials with this type of niche. Your challenge is going to come when choosing a sub niche because there are so many of them. But don’t worry there is help available for you here, and I will be giving you some ideas to guide you in making a decision on which direction to go in.
Now when it comes to choosing your keywords, you should not have any problems finding the high traffic variety. However when it comes to finding low completion keywords, you will have to be specific in order to find good enough results. What I found in my research was that high traffic results were easy but low completion were mostly found when asking a question.
The use of power tools have been around for 120 years. As technology advances so do the functionality and features of the tools. They are also becoming cheaper and more user friendly, which means more average people are likely to buy them. In the past, only trade professionals or hard core enthusiasts would need power tools.
One area which has become popular thanks to reality TV shows, is home demolition and makeovers. The tools of that trade are specific in nature. For example the angle grinder in the graph above and the impact driver in the graph below, are two tools used most often throughout the process.
These specific tools and the projects you do with them could be your focused sub niches. Take a look at my review of a the Ultimate Azon Theme to a peek at a niche website based around power drills.
Some of these tools can be applied to a variety professions as well and thus can generate big time profits for you, because you will be marketing to professionals, that require having these things in oder to make money for themselves. If someone needs a tool to make money, you can bet that they'll spend money to buy it. Here are some professions that all use specific power tools as part of their trade.
- Vehicle repair
- Auto racing pit crew tools
- Furniture making
- Wood carving
- Ice carvings
- Antique restoration
- Building demolition
- Do it yourself for women/men
Reciprocating saws are very popular for people who do home restoration projects. They can cut all sorts of things including nails, and can cut in a confined space where other saws cannot. There are an endless amount of trades that use power tools. Even you use power tools in your personal lives. When it comes to sub niches you will want to focus on a specific kind of tool and/or parts and accessories. Here are some sub niches.
- Grinders & Sanders
- Garden power tools
- Power tool replacement parts
- Cordless hand tools
- Batteries and chargers
When searching for your sub nice, always remember to look at all of the ways average people and professionals use power tools, both handheld and floor/ground models. Being that many power tools, especially the big floor models, are expensive pieces of equipment, you should be able to pull in some big profits with the following affiliate programs.
Top 3 Affiliate Programs
One thing I noticed when doing the research for these affiliate programs is that many had low commission payouts, but do not let that prevent you from partaking in this niche. Power tools are not inexpensive items. Most are over $100 apiece and after all of the add-on extra parts one would buy (cases, extra batteries, drill bits, blades, etc), you could be looking at a $300+ order. A professional could easily drop $1000.
It was because of this that dictated how I chose the order of the following affiliate programs. As for the top three it is kind of obvious why I made those choices, based on the companies selected and their nation-wide reputation when it comes to this particular niche. Though two of the top three are nationally recognized names, neither are in the number one spot.
- Signup URL: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/affiliate-program
- Focus: A large supply of power tools, hand tools, specialized tools, accessories, replacement parts, and a huge selection of unique woodworking specific tools
- Commissions: 5%
Comments: Highland Woodworking is my first choice because unlike the next two selections, they are somewhat niche specific to a big niche in and of itself which is woodworking. Of all affiliate programs I reviewed that specialized in tools for woodworking, this company has the most comprehensive selection of common and unique tools.
I liked how their website is laid out with all of the specific kinds of tools listed along the left side of the screen, and that they offer how-to DVDs as well as downloadable guides. They also provide workshops and seminars to help people use the tools they sell for various uses in woodworking. Highland Woodworking also has the highest cookie of 60 days, out of all affiliate programs listed here.
- Signup URL: http://www.acehardware.com/affiliate
- Focus: Anything and everything having to do with home improvement, power tools, hand tools, painting, plumbing, lighting, and building supplies and accessories.
- Commissions: 5%
Comments: As I am sure you have seen and heard in the ads, “Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks.” Ace Hardware is my number two selection because of their nation-wide reputation and longevity in the hardware niche. They have been in business since 1924 and have over 4,600 locations. Though they offer far more than just power tools, they do have a very large selection.
Ace’s affiliate program offers a 14-day cookie, a top of the line affiliate customer representative service, and the professionalism that has been part of their trademark for all of these years. They have a bright and visually stimulated website that has simple navigation with option filled drop down menus. Being that Ace sells far more than power tools, you will have the ability to earn even more commissions when people purchase other items.
- Signup URL: http://www.homedepot.com/Affiliate_Program
- Focus: Everything for your home and garden including power tools, garden power tools, specialty power tools, tool replacement parts and accessories.
- Commissions: 3%
Comments: Though Home Depot has almost as big an inventory of tools and items for home improvement and light construction, they are my third choice because of their low commission and 1 day cookie. Now that being said, they do have a large selection of power tools and they service both professionals and the home owner.
They do however have a nice user friendly website, and I found that I enjoyed browsing their website better than that of Ace. Home Depot is another nation-wide hardware and home improvement company that has been in business since 1978. They have 2,248 locations and offer an accommodating affiliate program customer service department.
Other Affiliate Programs
- In addition to tractors and supplies for farmers they offer all kinds of power air tools, drills, saws, grinders, sanders, impact wrenches, compressors, batteries, accessories
- Many kinds of hand and stand-alone units such as battery operated, electric, and gas operated power tools including tools for lawn and garden, hydraulic, flooring, masonry
- Several brands of power tools such as Craftsman, Bostitch, Stanley, Makita, DeWalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, and others all with many different applications
Craftsman / Sears
- Long standing quality power tools by Craftsman with drill kits, table saws, band saws, cordless drills, miter saws, air compressors, wet/dry vac, drill presses, bench planer
Rockler Woodworking & Hardware
- Saws, planers, routers, drills, sanders, lathes, shapers, drill press, handheld drills, mortisers, grinders, engravers, joiners, multi-tools, cnc 3D printers
Makita Power Tools
- 1% – 6% depending on the size of order
- Circular, reciprocating, and jig saws, cordless drills, impact drivers, impact wrenches, nail guns, concrete cutters, grinders, cutters, sanders, routers, trimmers, planers, and more
DeWalt Power Tools
- 1% to 3% depending on the size of order
- Power drills & fasteners, hammers & hammer drills, grinders, metal working, nibblers, polishing, sanding, saws, shears, power tool accessories and parts
- Note: this is my personal favorite brand of power tools
Power Tools Keywords Breakdown
10 Low Competition Keywords (Searches/QSR)
- what are the best masonry drill bits – 75/5
- who makes porter cable tools – 118/8
- how to sharpen chain saw blade – 203/17
- what is the best belt sander – 316/26
- adjustable pneumatic torque wrench – 242/27
- what is the best table saw – 702/43
- toro lawn mower reviews – 210/44
- 12 inch circular saw blades – 120/50
- chicago electric power tools review – 135/53
- cordless power tool combo kits – 72/60
10 High Traffic Keywords (Searches/QSR)
- reciprocating saw – 60500/274
- cordless power tools – 10009/297
- power tools for sale – 9089/180
- ridgid power tools – 8602/244
- dremel accessory kit – 8539/153
- chicago electric power tools – 6523/221
- circular saw blades – 5888/298
- craftsman table saw – 5000/169
- how to sharpen lawn mower blades – 4148/161
- poulan pro chainsaw – 3476/124
Why Is This Different From Google’s Number?
Though Google’s Keyword Tool has improved in recent years, it still gives inflated (inaccurate) traffic numbers. The keyword tool I use takes data from a variety of search engines, not just Google. Remember that Bing + Yahoo own 30% of the search market.
Other Great Keywords (high traffic, low competition)
- porter cable router – 4042/188
- makita drills – 1019/293
- carbide drill bits – 913/282
- replacement power tool batteries – 880/157
- cordless nail gun – 867/224
- craftsman power tools – 791/259
- black and decker leaf blower – 768/164
- circular saw blade sharpener – 557/166
- pneumatic torque wrench – 519/233
- chicago power tools – 489/193
- woodworking power tools – 478/265
- home depot power tools – 471/153
- diamond core drill bits – 420/240
- craftsman circular saw – 336/203
- best portable table saw – 331/170
- battery powered nail gun – 153/118
- dewalt dw840k 7 inch angle grinder bag wheels – 136/3
- the best masonry drill bits – 82/20
- chicago electric power tools replacement parts – 132/32
- craftsman circular saw blades – 96/36
- best power tools reviews – 152/47
- belt sanders sale – 933/53
- top rated table saws – 146/62
- craftsman cordless drill batteries – 270/64
- best chainsaw chain – 228/68
- what is the best cordless drill – 9507/77
- cordless drill battery repair – 327/83
- hardened steel drill bits – 152/87
Affiliate Marketing Action Plan For Power Tools
With this very broad niche you are going to need to narrow it down to a specific aspect or genre. That may seem like a daunting task, but it really is not if you just sit back and think about the many things that people do by using tools: destroying, building, fixing, creating.
I find Do it Yourself also known as DIY, very interesting because it's creative, and provides a lot of room for content creation.
One quick example, is that there are many people who take old wooden objects and repurpose them into functional pieces. I saw a woman on a Pinterest DIY board turn some wooden pallets into furniture for her patio, similar to the below photo.
I think a great idea for a website would be specifically about repurposing old things to make new ones, also known as upcycling. Of course, to upcycle bigger items, you'll need a set of reliable tools!
Other possibilities for niche websites could be about helping tradesman improve their craft (or profits), woodworking for the hobbyist, or beginner/advanced home improvement projects.
Need Extra Help?
If you should have any problems selecting either a sub niche or good keywords to target, you will have many options for support! One of the best ways to figure out these temporary roadblocks is to get training in how to select and narrow down a niche and then how you can monetize your niche website. Remember, building the site is only step #1. The next step is to actually turn it into a profitable business!
My #1 recommendation for this type of training is Wealthy Affiliate. They offer a complete training program that will take you step by step through the courses on how to build an online business from scratch without any experience necessary. Then you will get training on keyword research and search engine optimization, so that your website content gets ranked in the search engines and makes sales.
You will not go through this alone. You will have support from a very helpful community of world-wide members, more than happy to help you to succeed. Plus you will find me there as well, so you will have at least one successful online business owner plugged in and ready to provide you with advice. If you are ready to get started learning how to make money online, click the below picture to find out how.
Latest posts by Nathaniell (see all)
- Top 10 WordPress Pricing Table Plugins For Better Sales Pages - April 26, 2018
- Can You Really Make Money With The EJury Website? - April 23, 2018
- 10 Home & Garden Network Marketing Companies To Combine Hobbies & Income - April 21, 2018