Affiliate Programs, Keyword Lists, and Niche Research for Camping
Camping is a pretty broad niche, so for this list of camping affiliate programs and related keywords, I’m going to be talking about a specific kind. You might call it the “typical” camping experience: hiking boots, tents, rain gear, camp fires, etc.
I’ll discuss related sub categories later on in the post, but I just wanted to set you up with some appropriate expectations.
Unfortunately, camping seems to be on a downward trend over the past few years, but always experiences a summer spike, peaking in July.
However, related activities are not necessarily in a downtrend. Hiking looks like it’s making a comeback.
Family activities and the outdoors are not going anywhere, anytime soon, and improvements to gear means that it’s more people. I’ll talk more about the potential of this niche below. Despite the downtrend in interest in the topic, there will always be niche markets to get into, and if you are passionate about it, money can be made anywhere online. It’s always possible to put your own spin on it and build a brand based on YOU. Good examples would be camping + technology, camping with disabilities, camping for city slickers, and so on.
Top 3 Camping Affiliate Programs
I didn’t find many exciting opportunities within this niche (at least not yet). The camping affiliate programs were pretty standard, ie 5%-12% commissions, 30-120 day cookies, and physical products being sold. I looked for some digital guides, but couldn’t find any. Maybe that’s an opportunity for you to write one! I think “Camping Activities for Families” could be an interesting book to write and sell.
For physical goods at the programs listed below, consider going for high ticket items. Canada Goose jackets are are $800+ dollars. Tents can get pricey, as well as newer “ultra lite” gear. The most interesting affiliate program listed below is probably Lower Gear, but that means you’d probably have to build your site around the idea of group camping activities which kind of boxes you in to that particular niche.
- Signup URL: rei.com/affiliates
- Focus: camping apparel, camping gear, traveling, outdoor sports including hiking, running, paddling, snow,
- Commissions: 5%, 120 day cookie
Comments: REI is a hugely trusted brand in this industry. They not only have high quality goods, but are known for their customer satisfaction policies. Two more good points about this program are that customers are loyal, and there are regular deals/specials to promote.
- Signup URL: campsaver.com/affiliates
- Focus: camping apparel, camping gear, outdoor sports including climbing, running, snow sports, hiking
- Commissions: 10%, 120 day cookie
Comments: Camp Saver has a variety of brand name goods available on their website. They have gear for climbing, running, snow sports, hiking, and of course apparel. Their affiliate page emphasizes that you’ll have an active affiliate manager, which can be nice. They usually have a lot of experience with what works in the niche, and it can be a pain to have an unresponsive affiliate manager when someone comes up.
10% is more than most for affiliate programs dealing with physical goods. As you can see from REI above, 5% is pretty standard.
- Signup URL: lowergear.com/affiliates
- Focus: Camping gear rental (US)
- Commissions: 12%, 120 day cookie
Comments: This is an interesting program and unique from the others in that it’s a camping gear rental service. This probably means your target audience is going to be different as well.
Rather than target individual people, we are going to be look for groups and organizations, i.e. folks that simply to not want to own the gear for whatever reason. A scout troop, a school trip, or a group of friends doing something new. 12% is not a bad deal!
Other Affiliate Programs
Camp Half Price
- RV camping focus
- 10% commissions
- campground finder
- 15% commissions
- never heard of Link Connector
- 6% commissions
- wider range of products, bikes, grills, rv, family camping, ATV, motorcycle
- Is a popular website. Came up several times in my keyword searches.
- 8% commission, 120 day cookie
- Active affiliate manager
- Outdoor gear (snow sports, climbing, biking, paddling, camping)
The North Face
- 5-9% Commission, 21 day cookie, monthly payout
- Apparel focused, exclusive offers, trusted brand
- variety of brands, gear + clothes focused
- 4-12% commission, 30 day cookie
- Includes 365 outdoor wear + truck monkey
Bass Pro Shops
- 5% Commissions
- lots of gear, supplies, etc
- 8% commissions, 60 day cookie
- This one came personally recommended by a friend in the camping gear niche
Sierra Trading Post
- 5%-10% commissions
- Another that was recommend by someone in the camping gear niche
Camping Keywords Breakdown
Top 10+ Low Competition Keywords (Searches/QSR)
- camp horse riding (72/0)
- essential gear camping baby (40/0)
- plan camping trip friends (48/0)
- plants you can eat woods (48/0)
- use dry ice cooler camping (104/0)
- backyard camping activities kids (24/0)
- best mosquito repellent dogs (144/1)
- camping charge phones (72/1)
- camping beds babies (40/1)
- battery powered stocks heat (40/3)
- hiking gps comparisons (8/6)
- camping solar chargers (32/19)
Top 10 High Traffic Keywords (Searches/QSR)
- camping water filter (394785/190)
- hiking boots for women (7777/158)
- 2 person tent (4135/148)
- play tents kids (2683/121)
- large family camping tent (1215/136)
- rv camping accessories (1022/92)
- natural mosquito repellent recipe (862/93)
- campfire cooking recipes (765/171)
- motorcycle camping gear (699/1173)
- kids camping gear (676/165)
Why Is This Different From Google’s Number?
Though Google’s Keyword Tool has improved in recent years, it still gives inflated (inaccurate) traffic numbers. The keyword tool I use takes data from a variety of search engines, not just Google. Remember that Bing + Yahoo own 30% of the search market.
Other Great Keywords (high traffic, low competition)
- women’s hiking boots
- best hiking gps app iphone
- men’s hiking boots
- boy scout camping gear
- how many calories do I burn hiking
- 6 person tent
- portable water filter
- light hiking boots
- hiking camping gear
- camping cooking utensils
- mosquito repellent dogs
- camping water purifiers
- used camping gear
- camping gear checklist
- women waterproof hiking boots
- winter camping gear
- boy scout camping gear
- lightweight camping gear
- ultralight camping gear
- backpacking water filters
- family cabin tents
- vintage hiking boots
- dog camping gear
- camping gear women
- natural remedies mosquito repellent
- crank cell phone charger
- camping baby high chair
- hiking trail boots
- best family tents review
- how many calories do i burn hiking
- camping beds babies
- best hiking gps handheld
- hiking gps watches
- camping solar chargers
- camping usb charger
- camping baby swing
- dry ice cooler camping safe
- indoor camping activities kids
- ideas campground activities
- 9 volt heated socks
Affiliate Marketing Action Plan For The Camping Niche
The best case scenario is going to be if you actually enjoy the outdoors and regularly go on trips. This means you’ll have an opportunity to test gear, learn tricks to show off, make tutorial, do video, take unique pictures, and do stuff that can really build your own online brand.
If that’s not you, you’ll still have tons of content available to you. There are many places online where you can acquire free-use images (like Flikr Creative Commons), and YouTube is a treasure trove of video creators who love camping. Brands like REI will probably have their own YouTube channel as well. Most vids are standard license, which means you can embed all of this content in your website and use it to engage with your visitors.
As I mentioned above, camping is pretty broad. After doing research on this niche, I probably wouldn’t create a general “camping” website. I’d put a spin on it like “camping alone/wilderness survival”, “family camping”, or “day hiking”. Here are some sub niches which could serve as a way to narrow down your camping website or could be used as their own niche.
- edible plants (mushroom picking, herbs)
- RV camping
- family camping
- camping with kids
- camping with babies
- camping alone
- winter camping
- day hiking
- camping high/low tech
- mountain climbing
- map making
- bird watching
- local animal species
- camp traveling
- down shifting
- getting off the grid
- beach camping
Need Extra Help?
Have you already started your niche website yet and just looking for affiliate programs, or are you just in the research phase?
The reason I ask is because I actually teach people how to build successful niche websites. I have a few sites of my own, in a variety of niches, but most of my day is spent helping people build their own sites about things they love.
If camping (or one of this sub niches) is your thing, I could probably help you create an awesome authority site and earn income from it.
The main training I recommend to get started (or boost your current campaigns) is in this progrma. It’s the internet marketing training center where I learned how to build my first site.
If you are member of the website and sign up through my link, I offer my personal, 1-on-1 support for free. No extra charge. Yes, a full time, successful, internet marketer will help you for free and all you need to do is sign up for some training.
Have any questions about the camping niche?
Want to offer some advice?
What do you think about the potential for this niche?
Leave me a note in the comments and I’ll get back to you!
photo credit: amalakar