Hi, and welcome to Day 3!
In Day 1 and Day 2 I introduced myself, and the concept of affiliate marketing. We signed up forWealthy Affiliate, and took a brief look at what they have to offer internet entrepreneurs.
Today we are going to look at the “make money online” industry and how it relates to affiliate marketing.
It's not a super important lesson for building your business, but it'll get you in the right mindset for success.
We're also going to set some realistic goals today, so let's get started.
Is this your first attempt at making money online?
Is this your first email course on how to start a website?
Chances are, you've tried and failed to earn money online already.
In fact, there's a good chance you've already tried a couple times.
I'd be willing to bet that you are pretty fed up with “make money online” (MMO) programs, systems, schemes, secrets, and whatnot.
Unfortunately, this phrase has been abused by tons of people on the internet, so much so, that the topic is banned in many writing communities because the mere mention of making money online brings spammers running by the dozen.
Making money online could be anything from selling homemade soap on Etsy, to joining a pyramid scheme.
It's hard to tell what's legit and what isn't.
I have a few rules I follow to decide what's a scam and what isn't.
- Does it promise fast or easy money?
- Do you have to resell the same product to your friends?
- Does the advertising show examples?
- Do you get a clear idea of what you're buying before you purchase?
- Did you buy something for $1, but then they ask you to spend another $100 right away?
- Are they cold-calling you for “personal coaching”?
- Is it more attractive to recruit new members, sell actual products?
These are signs of a scam.
Don't feel bad if you have been a victim of a scam. Many of us have, including myself.
Back in 2010, I joined a “brand new social network” that was supposed to overtake Facebook because it paid the members instead of sending all that money to the CEO of the company.
It sounded real nice!
The trouble was, you had to pay a bunch of fees to get in the network, and then you were asked to recruit friends and family so you could make money from their fees.
It was basically a social network pyramid scheme.
I was super embarrassed to have been sucked into such a dumb program, but it can happen to any of us.
So, let's ‘get real' for a second.
How long will it take you to build a full scale business so you can quit your job (or stop looking for one)?
There are a lot of variables, so unfortunately, I can't give you a clear answer. It took me two years. I know a girl that did it in a year, a guy that did it in 6 months, and one other that did it in 4 years.
Amazing things can happen, and your story will be unique, but I can't make any promises as to when, or how much money you will make.
It's like opening up any other kind of store.
The jewelry shop downtown will have different profits than the clothing store at the mall.
They are different shops, with different customers, different locations, and different owners.
I can give you some advice that will help you start earning faster, and increase your chance of success earning money online.
1. Take Action
Again, with the take action thing! Sorry to hammer this so much, but too many people want to just read about how to do something rather than actually do it.
2. Ask Questions
It's natural to feel like everyone knows more than you. But you need to remember that everyone, at one time, started as a newbie. Ask anything you like in WA. No one will make you feel stupid. Remember, it's the internet, you'll never have to see these people in real life, so please, ask as many boring, silly, simple questions as possible!
3. Believe That It Works, And You Can Make It
Too many people come to me and say, “I'll just put in 20 minutes a day until I see some income, then I'll do 20 hours per day”. They have this equation backwards!
You need to be working hard, or you will not see results. Sometimes, you will work for three hours on your website and see no income for the day. It will be super frustrating! But if you repeat that process daily for a couple months, you will start seeing $5, $25, $125, per day and more.
The only people who fail are the ones that quit
You never know when success is right around the corner. Some people are just smart, and can figure this stuff out in a couple months. Other people, like myself, take at least a year or two to “go full time” and quit their job. Focus on your own story.
Realistic Goals For Making Money Online
- Expect to spend at least 30 minutes to 1 hour every day doing something on your website or in the lessons
- Expect that you will not earn money for at least a few months
- Expect that you will not get rich over night. Success will come slowly, then snowball
- Expect that you will get frustrated and confused sometimes, and that's natural!
Those are all kinds of bad news expectations, so let's look at the positives that you can expect
- Wealthy Affiliate is full of newbies like yourself that you can consult and collaborate with
- You can absolutely achieve a full time income within a year or two
- There is no limit to the amount of income you can earn online
- Eventually you can outsource many of your daily tasks, thus reducing your work hours
- You can use these skills to work on other people's websites to earn money
- You can sell your website for a huge profit (40x monthly earnings, so a website earning $1,000 per month can fetch $40,000!)
- Online sales are growing across the globe, so your business will naturally grow as the internet grows
- Websites are online 24/7, so you business never sleeps and you can make money 24/7/365
Tasks For Today:
1. Complete Lesson 1 in the Online Entrepreneur Certification course. Lesson 1 will give you an introduction to the site, and ask you to complete your profile. That should be pretty easy. If you have the time, you can also do Lesson 2. It will teach you how to make money in affiliate marketing, and ask you to make some goals.
*Let me know if you can't find the lessons! It should be pretty obvious inside WA, but if you are not sure, leave a message on my profile and I can help you find what you need.
2. Check out some recent success stories of people earning money with Wealthy Affiliate training. You can read 2018 – Another Year Of Success Growth At Wealthy Affiliate or Is Making Money Getting Easier In 2017 And Beyond? These are Wealthy Affiliate members posting about their first sale, their biggest earning month, how much money they earn, or even pictures form recent vacations paid for by their online business.
3. Ask a question in live chat. (seriously) This question can be anything. You can ask something you've really been wanting to know, or just introduce yourself and see what everyone is talking about. Sometimes people chat about their businesses and share ideas, other times they just joke around and have fun with other internet marketers.
See what's happening and join in. Pretty much everyone is friendly and happy to help. Making connections at WA will help you get the assistance you need when you get stuck.
Are you ready for Day 4? We are going to look at SEVEN different business models that can be used to make money on the internet. Look for [OM2C] in your inbox!