Is a Profitable Online Business Possible for Me?
Any online business, for beginners, is going to be a venture into the unknown. In other words, it’s scary. Unless you’ve had some experience with business or computers before you’re going to be very skeptical about whether making money on the internet is possible for YOU. If you’ve researched any “make money” programs before, then the whole thing probably seems like a bunch of garbage.
I will tell you that I firmly believe that making money online is possible for anyone that is willing to take the time to learn. You need to prepare yourself for learning stuff, and putting in some hours in order to make progress, but “making money” is no different than anything else in life. Learning to play the piano, learning a new language, or even getting in shame – they all take consistent effort over time in order to see results.
You will not get a 6-pack in a week, and you won’t have a profitable website in that time either.
When I started 4 years ago, I had no experience at all. I had never been to college, owned a 2nd hand laptop, and knew absolutely NOTHING about business or marketing.
My plan was to learn
The only thing I did have a lot of experience with was learning languages. I learned Czech quite well after 4 years in Prague, and was even taking Spanish lessons while living there. Then I moved to China and got pretty darn good at Mandarin Chinese. I began to realize that I could learn ANYTHING I wanted to if I followed the lessons and learned even just a little bit every day.
How cool would it be if I could learn the language of money?
There were a few bumps getting started. As you probably know, there are a lot of make-money scams out there. I got roped into an MLM scheme called People String, and bought a few PDF guides claiming to have the secret to riches. None of them worked, or at least didn’t provide me with the education I needed.
A huge part of learning languages for me was being able to talk to native speakers – people that were fluent in the language. So I decided I need to find some people that knew the language of making money online. I was lucky enough to find them hanging out here. With their training and mentoring I stumbled through my first sites and eventually quit my job to go “full time”.
But that’s my story. Let’s start talking about YOURs.
5 Tips For Starting Your First Online Business
1. Set goals. You need a target to aim for, and even if you don’t hit it, at least you can measure how far you were off. The more specific your goals, the better of an idea you’ll have of how to achieve them.
Knowing and setting some realistic goals can really help with your long term plan. Lots of folks expect to be profitable in a week but most of the time that doesn’t happen. Anything is possible, and there are unique stories, but be sure you check your expectations.
Also, set some time goals. Can you work on this every day for 2 hours 5x per week? Can you devote at least 45 minutes every day 7 days a week?
2. Make a plan. Now that you know what you’re aiming for, you need to set out the steps to do it. Again, this will help with analyzing what went right and what went wrong, as well as how to do better next time. Most people won’t succeed on the first try, but planning things out can increase your chances of success on the 2nd try. I started 3-4 failed websites before I made one that earned me some money.
Update: I’ve got a very nice, FREE series of blog posts called the Beginner Niche Marketer’s Guide that can help you with making your business plan.
3. Take action. If you don’t do anything, then you won’t make any money. Understanding the facts will get you no richer. Knowing how to start a profitable online business won’t actually put money in your pocket. A dysfunctional, poorly maintained, embarrassing attempt at a business that makes only $5 per month is infinitely better than doing nothing.
A pro once told me that if you can make $5, you can make $5,000. I have found this to be true.
4. Find a mentor. There are lots of questions you have, and having someone to show you the way will make the difference. This is not essential, but it makes the learning process much easier. No one is perfect, and you may decide to do things a bit different from your mentor at a later time, but a business mentor can act as your confidant in times of stress, confusion, and frustration. If you would like my personal help, you can sign up here to get lessons and 1-on-1 support from me while you build your business.
5. Learn from your mistakes. It’s highly unlikely that you’re going to hit a home run on your first try. I didn’t. The most successful marketers I know are those that test, tweak, and make changes. Keep what works, ditch what doesn’t. This is how you build income from $1,000 per year to $10,000 per month.
I hope you found these tips useful. For those that are interested, you can join my free 5 Day Affiliate Marketing Course to learn what your first steps should be to build a successful online business. This business isn’t going to build itself. You have to take some risks, do some work, and get ready to learn.
*comments disabled due to spam. If you have questions, send me an email.