Every day, hundreds of bloggers and internet entrepreneurs publish or share “lists” on how to grow their business. These “growth hack” lists purport to help you grow your business and skyrocket traffic, sales, etc etc, but do they really work?
Are you actually learning how to grow your business or just killing time hoping that you’ll feel inspired to get something productive done today?
1. You’re Just Pretending It’s Productive
Come on now. At the end of the day, no “list” is going to change you from a struggling entrepreneur to a multi-million dollar CEO. Winners are made from grinding. Browsing Buzzfeed style articles, even if the topic is business, is NOT productive in any way shape or form.
2. At Least A Few Of Them Are Filler
Chances are the Top 10 list started out as one idea, and then the writer sat down and though, “How can I turn this into a full list”. Then they only had 6 good ideas, and thought, “How can I split these ideas into more.”
Totally not saying that’s’ what happened here, but it can 🙂
3. You’ll Only Remember One or Two For A Short Time
Most of them will have no impact on you, even in the short term. A few pithy or relevant ones may add some extra motivation or positivity to your day.
4. Eventually You’ll Forget All Of Them
Right now…can you name a tip from a Top 10 growth hack list you read before? I can’t. It’s just one of those things that you read, enjoy, and forget.
Read work produces read results, which stacks up over time and builds a business.
5. None Of Them Will Make A Concrete Difference In Your Bottom Line
Responding to emails, talking to people online, producing content, communicating with contractors…these are the things that grow a business.
Browsing online articles is purely entertainment, even if it is relevant to “entrepreneurship”.
6. It’s Rarely Anything That Hasn’t Been Said Before
So many ‘tips’ are recycled. In fact, I could write a whole list of “Top 10 general business tips that get repeated over and over”.
Stuff like manage your time, take a break, measure results, stop doing what doesn’t work, help people, etc etc. Yawn. After a few of these things, you pretty much get the idea.
7. Re-sharing on Social Media Will Just Waste Everyone Else’s Time Too
We all know you need to share something today to make yourself relevant on social media. Please share something useful, not just the first article you came across that sounded smart and click-worthy.
8. After The First Half You’re Only Paying 1/2 Attention
Near the end of the list, you’re just skimming. The list is losing entertainment value real quickly.
9. It’s Likely Going To Be A Gateway To YouTube or Reddit
Now that you’re thoroughly distracted, it’s probably time to check your email or see what’s happening on YouTube, right? I mean, you’ll definitely get back to work double-time just after you catch up on the news.
In my opinion, you can probably never read another Top 10 list, regardless of the topic, for the rest of your life, and still have a very successful business. So next time you see one, ignore it. Don’t read it. Don’t retweet it. Do something you’ve been meaning to do but have been putting off instead.
Question: This list started as a Top 10, but I couldn't think of a 10th tip. How often do you think that happens?
Latest posts by Nathaniell (see all)
- Can You Really Make Money With The EJury Website? - April 23, 2018
- 10 Home & Garden Network Marketing Companies To Combine Hobbies & Income - April 21, 2018
- 5 Family-Focused Network Marketing Companies With Interesting Products - April 21, 2018